Epidemiology is the method used to find the causes of diseases and health outcomes in populations. The primary roles of the Putnam County Health Department are:
- To investigate diseases that are reportable in West Virginia
- To investigate outbreaks of diseases
- To help control the spread of infectious diseases
- To serve as a resource to medical providers, community partners and the general public
- To provide education on diseases and how to prevent or reduce the spread of infectious diseases
Staff at the Putnam County Health Department investigate diseases by looking at who, what, where, when and how.
- Who is sick and who is at risk of getting sick?
- What are their symptoms and what is the disease that is making them sick?
- When did they get sick?
- Where could they have been exposed to the disease?
- And how can we stop or reduce the spread of the disease?
This information is then used to help control the spread of disease and to protect others from getting it.
Additional information on infectious diseases can be found on WVDHHR site.